Thursday, June 28, 2012

Headed to Pendleton!

Jon and I are heading out to Pendleton Oregon this evening and I’m super excited. Pendleton Or is a small town in eastern Oregon, where Jon grew up. We will be staying with his grandma and will be attending Jon's 10 year high school reunion! I’m pretty excited about this, because I want to see and meet the people that Jon went to high school with. I’m not from a small town, so I get so fascinated with hearing about his childhood and growing up in a small town. I love that he's from a small town, I actually think that it’s really cute!
Since we will be spenging our weekend out there, I thought I would write a post about this hometown. Here is a little tid bit I found on Wikipedia about Pendleton:
Pendleton is a city in Umatilla County, Oregon, United States. Pendleton was named in 1868 by the county commissioners for George H. Pendleton, Democratic candidate for Vice-President in the 1864 presidential campaign.
The population was 16,612 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Umatilla County.
Pendleton is the smaller of the two principal cities of the Pendleton-Hermiston Micropolitan Statistical Area
Pendleton Woolen Mills, founded in 1893, is known worldwide as a maker of fine Indian trading blankets and men's plaid shirts.
In addition to the woolen mills, Pendleton is also famous for its annual rodeo, the Pendleton Round-Up. First held in 1910, it is part of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) sanctioned rodeo circuit. In 1999, the Pendleton Round-Up Association added a two night Professional Bull Riders Classic to the Annual events. The rodeo is noted for being the only PRCA ever held on a grass field.
I've only been to Pendleton 3 times, twice for their rodeo, which is SO much fun, I also love that I can dress up as a cowgirl during the round up!
The other time was just to visit the town when it’s not packed full of out of town people that only visit for the rodeo. I love how when I’m there, I feel like I’m in a whole different world, I love that I can disconnect from the "outside world" and technology.  It’s really refreshing spending time out there.  And their nice weather makes it even more enjoyable.  I’m so excited to experience 80 degree weather this weekend!


The "Let'er Buck Room".  I've only been in there once.  Its a bar inside the rodeo grounds, and its really dark and cramped and VERY roughty! But its world famous!
Every year during the round up, they have a parade.  Here I am watching the parade and posing in from of "Burns Mortuary" Jon grew up in a mortician family, another fun fact about my husband!
Jon's family no longer owns the mortuary, but last time we were there, i was able to get a tour of the place.  Im not going to lie, it was a little creepy BUT it was really cool being able see everything that goes on in a place like this.
Jon is NOT a cowboy, thats why this picture cracks me up! lol.  Our friends were teaching Jon how to rope and it was very entertaning watching him learn
Fist time seeing something like this on the road!
This little diner is so cute! I love it.  It totally has the old diner feel AND theres a big Betty Boop statue out front, that I love! Ill make sure to visit here this weekend and take a picture with Betty Boop!
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. OMG this is an amazing post!
    Wow good thing they got rid of the mortuary, that's creepy stuff!
    I L.O.V.E. your pink cowgirl hat!
    Real tumbleweeds? omg I had no idea they existed IRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you had a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...