Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My weekend in Portland

So I headed to Portland Thursday night, to be able to attend Gunnar's memorial Friday morning.  I am so thankful that I was able to go home and be there with friends Friday. 
Thursday:
I was a little worried about riding the train down by myself, since this was my 1st time riding the train home.  Thankfully, when i got to the train station, a friend, that was also head to Portland for Gunnar's memorial was there.  I'm so glad that I had someone to ride down with and to show me the ropes.
Bored on the train.
We arrived in Portland at about 9pm.  My friends, Aubrey and Koli, were there to pick me up, we headed to dinner, then they dropped me off at Alyson's house.  Alyson and I stayed up pretty late, I helped her get last minute things finished for Gunnar's memorial on Friday.  Alyson had been working on a slide show of Gunnar to present during the reception.  She did a wonderful job with it. 
Friday
Gunnar's memorial was beautiful.  It was nice to see everyone that had been touched by Gunnar's life.  I'm pretty sure there were over 200 people there for the service.  After the service, there was a procession to the cemetery where Gunnar was laid to rest.  It was a beautiful cemetery with a view of Portland and its mountains.    There was a bagpiper at the cemetery and he played music as we said our final goodbyes.    There was also a reception for Gunnar where the slide show was played and people had the opportunity to stand up and tell stories about Gunnar, it was great to hear such wonderful stories about him and how he truly lived his life to the fullest. It was a hard and emotional day, the memorial really helped with the grieving.

After such a hard day, i needed a break, so I went to Koli's house and we all headed out to dinner for Daniella's birthday. We went to Oswego Grill in Wilsonville. It was nice to see friends that i haven't seen in months and celebrate a friends special day.

Daniella and her special birthday treat

Saturday
I dedicated my Saturday to spend with my mom and sisters.  Since I haven't been home for over 2 months, I definitely needed to see my mom and family.  I hung out at home with my mom most of the morning, she made me chilaquiles, which are my favorite and she always makes me a batch when I'm home.  I love her Mexican home cooking and i miss it so much! My sister Patty came by and picked us up with my 2 nephews Felipe and Izequiel, We went to see my oldest sister Monica, and i got to see my other nieces, Diana & Jessica and nephew Tony. 
Riding in the car with my boys, Izequiel & Felipe.
After visiting Monica, we headed to lunch at another one of my favorite spots when I'm home, Sanchez Taqueria.  They have the best authentic tacos, nothing compares to tacos in Mexico, but these are pretty good!!
YUM!!!
My favorite Mexican soda
Mexican cookie
Felipe and I.  Love this kid so much!
Photo shoot with Felipe & Izequiel
Zeek is too funny!
After spending all day with my family, I had my little sister drop me off at my friend Courtney's house.  We decided to go out for drinks at my favorite bar, Bartini.  I try to go to Bartini anytime I'm in town.  The moment we got there, our waitress made a comment about remembering me, lol.  I live in another state and I'm still considered a regular, hahaha. Anyway, it was nice to go out for drinks and have some girl talk.
I wish there was one of these in Seattle!

They have the BEST fondue!
Bartini in on 21st ave in Portland, and that street has lots of cute little bars, so we decided to hit up a few other places too

Drinks at the gypsy
Late night snack at North 45
Sunday
I kinda had a rough start Sunday morning.  I unfortunately missed my 8:30 train because Courtney and I didn't wake up until 10 mins before my train left, oops! I was lucky enough to catch the next train at 12:15, and i was home with my hubby by 4:00
View on my way home
I missed Jon so much while i was away, I was so happy to finally be home to my little family!!!  Jon and I had dinner plans on Sunday night with Jon's cousin, so after we got home, I took a quick shower, got ready and we headed out the door for dinner.  Miley was a happy pup that she got to come along for the fun.
She enjoys the car rides for a few mins and then her car anxiety kicks in, no fun
Looking at me asking me where her daddy was?  We had to make a quick stop at Safeway for dessert!
Staring out the window waiting for her daddy's return
 We had dinner with Mamie, her husband Dan and their cute little girl Evie.  We have lived in Seattle for a year now and this is our 1st time getting together with them.  This is something that we definitely need to work on and do more often! We had a great night with them.
Miley sporting one of Evie's hair clips
My weekend in Portland was pretty exhausting, but I'm glad that i was able to spend the weekend down there and am even happier to be home with my loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...